Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Calming Effect of Destruction


Here's a story of how and why I find the image above to be peaceful and calming. A friend of mine showed me this link to the aftermath of the Hiroshima atomic blast that happened about 70 years ago. No one was allowed to take photos of the resulting terror except for the US Strategic Bombing Survey team. Years later these photos were found in a suitcase in a pile of trash. What my friend had said initially was “Beautiful, serene and calming isn’t it?” I couldn’t believe anything like that would be so beautiful. All I saw was a man-made monstrosity. This is not the aftermath of an earthquake, tsunami or hurricane. Humans did this. I told him this isn’t calming or serene…a deserted island or beach is calming…this is horrific! But then my friend’s words forced me to look at the photos again, and I did see how this could be calming. As a human race we aren’t predators. In a one-on-one battle with a species higher on the food chain, our chances of surviving are very slim. This is why being amidst destruction can be calming, even more calming than on a deserted island. You never know what may be lurking around on a deserted island, so instincts may have you on defense. On the other hand if you are surrounded by destruction, there’s really a slim chance of anything surviving and attacking you. Unless you’re starring in a Hollywood blockbuster and a village of mutant humans living in the empty gas station are attacking and feeding off human flesh. So it would make sense that this could be more calming. Take look and let me know what you think. http://flavorwire.com/183447/view-once-classified-photos-of-ground-zero-hiroshima

No comments:

Post a Comment