Thursday, February 24, 2011

Literally Is Killing Me, Figuratively Speaking



“Literally,” the word, has been raped and beaten to death by the mouths of young people all around. I first noticed the misuse of literally while watching a show of Jersey Shore. Then I heard it in conversation. Literally now seems to be taking the place of “seriously,” or it’s a word placement of some phrases where it does not belong. For example when I hear someone say “OMG! You’re so funny I literally peed my pants,” I expect to look down and see that person standing in a puddle of their own urine. When I overhear a story of someone’s great weekend anecdote, and they say, “I literally died when that happened,” I want to say no you didn’t or else you wouldn’t be here. People also say literally just for the hell of it. For instance, “I literally forgot how do to that.” There is no way to literally forget something. You either forget or you remember. That’s it! There is figurative speaking and literal speaking. Figurative is when you say, “I’m so hungry I could eat a whole elephant.” Or this could be said by saying, “I was so hungry I ate the entire sandwich,” and it’s very possible to be taken literally when you say this since it is possible to eat a whole sandwich but not a whole elephant. Please keep this in mind before you literally open your mouth. Hopefully this is the only thing that catches on from this show because it would be a shame if the new look in women’s fashion consisted of short skirts, UGG boots, Coach bags and a hair bump.

No comments:

Post a Comment